Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012 in Review: January

This has been a most challenging and difficult year for me in many ways, and I approached the end of it not feeling particularly on top of my game and more wary than hopeful or excited about a new year. So when photographers on Google+ started posting their "best of 2012" photos and thoughts, my first thought was, "I just can't do that this year. No heart for it."

But, in fact, photography has been the best thing about this year. It has kept me sane and trudging along through some real crap, and indeed has provided not only creative relief but inspiration when my images have been well-received by so many of that same international network of photographer friends.

I encountered photography when I went back to the University of Iowa in my late 20s to get a degree in Journalism. I did lots of photography and achieved some recognition for it, but then went off to graduate school. Years later, after many years of graduate school, struggling to achieve tenure and being an academic department head, I found my way back to photography (long story for another time).

From 2005 through 2011, I shot some but not enough to do a "best of the year" review. In 2012, I shot 4,387 images with my digital 35mm camera!

So I decided to give "best of 2012" a shot after all, one month at a time. I completed that task today on Google+, and decided I'd share the results with a larger audience. And because the words that go with these images are just as important as the images, I'm going to use this blog to do it. The story is, after all, partly about coming to terms.

Joy

Here's my favorite from January. As whale shots go, this little tail slap is not that spectacular. But it means the world to me as one who has studied and loved whales form afar for decades but has only twice managed to get close enough to make a decent photograph! It is from my January trip to Hawaii to an academic conference.
                         
                               

No comments:

Post a Comment